Problem With Words

Do you ever wonder why you connect so well with people that you've experienced many things with? I did. Most people chalk it up to just enjoying their company more and feeling more connected to them, but that's too abstract for me. Think about a conversation with one of your best friends. Then think about a conversation with somebody you never really talk to and don't get along with.

The major difference is the ability to read the meaning behind words. Examples are the only way to portray this. If I were to tell my best friend that a lady "looked huge", he would laugh because I'm rising above the norm which would be calling her fat, so it's encompassing a whole new world of weight. If I said that to some girl I barely knew, she may see it as the same word as fat, so would find it rude.

You could say that context plays a huge part, and I wouldn't say you're wrong. But try to look at words from a basic level. When you use words, adjectives in particular, how do you think of that word to use? You think of past experiences that are relative to that situation. This is the problem with words. Everybody has
different past experiences, so you're not always going to find common ground with words. When people don't see eye to eye, this is the problem. The problem isn't that the other person is close-minded or an idiot. The problem is that they're not understanding what you're trying to say because your words are chaos to them, while they are perfectly in order to you.

So then how can you find common ground? Smart people already do this without realizing it. They spout out synonyms for the words they're trying to get across, because "good" might mean so-so to one person while "great" will actually accomplish what you're trying to communicate. I'm going to keep looking into this, as I find it fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment