Thinking Exercise

This might be an odd thing to try for you if you've never sat down and really thought.

Go someplace quiet and sit down comfortably. You want to make sure you're comfortable so that your thoughts don't concern your posture. Now, try to clear your mind a little bit. No techniques are necessary, just relax and become aware of all of your thoughts.

Proceed to shut your eyes and imagine any sort of shape right in front of your eyes. Try to picture all of your thoughts traveling through this shape as if they don't even know it's there. Now try to push all of your thoughts from this shape. Make the inside of this shape become a safe haven where it's completely devoid of thought.

This is where mostly everybody will differ and where I'm interested in hearing what happens for you. First I'll tell you what I experienced. My shape was a circle. I went ahead and pushed all of my thought outside of it and succeeded, for a few seconds. Then a thought of the actual circle came into my mind. It wasn't on this 2D plane that the circle was limited to, so I didn't see it coming. This effectively raises a multitude of questions. Do we think in three dimensions? Do we think in perhaps even four dimensions? Are there layers of thought? Is it possible to completely control your thought so that new branches don't form? For that matter, what shape is the thought process? These are questions I hope to answer with practice.

After that I tried forming a sphere to block out the third dimension but it was too complex to maintain and I just broke off into thinking about something else, forgetting the circle.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting exercise. I gave it a try and my shape turned out to be a triangle. It started out in 2d form but rotated and became 3d. Not too sure what that signifies? On the other hand, Instead of having my thoughts being pushed out, they were being pulled in like a black hole in a sense. Anyway, I think the triangle first came to mind because it represents structure and balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to self-analyze and come to that conclusion. I have no clue either, your guess is better than mine. Thanks for playing along though haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, its quite alright. I enjoyed the exercise. I must say though, fully concentrating is much harder than it seems. Took me quite a while.

    ReplyDelete