It's about time.

I was sitting in class the other day, waiting for the time to pass by. Then, I made the mistake of looking at the clock. I say mistake because most people would say that if you watch a clock time will go slower, because your mind won't stray from the thought of each second passing. Well, since I'm a rebel, I kept looking at the clock. The second hand slowly passed up the five, and I wondered how long it would take to get back to the five if I watched it. I then realized that I shouldn't be staring at clocks and should get back to my work.

That's when a peculiar thing happened. I couldn't get the five out of my head, no matter how hard I willed it. I tried over and over to stop thinking about the five, but as long as I knew that the second hand was coming back around to it, it stayed on my mind. Now take this out of context and turn that minute into an hour or a day. You're always thinking about the future and what you have to do. The future controls your actions in the present. Are we not then just puppets for time to play with as it pleases? Let's look at it in an even broader scope. A year. Everything in your life that you're working towards (family, work, school) has to do with what's going to happen in the next year or years.

What if we could eliminate this sense of living in the future? We would all be carefree and just enjoy life in the present. No worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment